27 April 2018

The Weekender: Earned It

Eating out is a part of life, so it is important to have an eating-out strategy that fits into your overall nutrition plan. There is no point eating blindly and paying money for calories that you’ll later regret. Yes, you deserve a treat, but a calculated one. Here are my five tips for eating out:
1.     Check out the menu before your restaurant rendezvous. The joys of preparation. And it’s fun, too. You don’t want to be ambushed when you see different dishes on the menu and the waiter is “patiently” asking: do you need a couple more minutes? That slight pressure to order promptly, especially when others know what they want and you’re the one “holding up” the orders? I know the feeling all too well. Look at the menu and make your decision before getting to the restaurant.

2.     Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to ask the waiter questions about the dish you’re ordering. Last week, I went to a restaurant. The menu said “fish,” not “breaded fish.” My meal was a breaded-fish grease fest. If only I’d just asked. Watch out for fancy meal titles – they are often accompanied with some grease/sauce you didn’t anticipate. 

3.     Get your salad dressing on the side. When ordering a salad, don’t forget to ask for the dressing on the side. Salad dressing includes oil, and restaurants often use more oil than is required (in my opinion). Also, they tend to over dress the salad. Don’t forget to ask for the dressing on the side. It’ll save the point of having a salad in the first place. 

4.     Big portions. Once you have been served a massive dish, ask for a takeout container. Split it in half. You’ll still be satisfied, because that portion is probably for two meals. Thank yourself later for being so savvy.

5.     Ready to Splurge? Do it without any apologies. I know I keep referring to my Weight Watchers journey, but that journey taught me so much about nutrition. You are allowed to spend your calories on one meal at a restaurant – just plan for it. When I know that I want to “go to town” at a restaurant, I make smart decisions during the day. I usually just eat one protein-focused meal, and nourish myself with teas, water, and fruit during the day. My nutrition (the word “diet” is loaded with negative connotations, and I want to switch to nutrition) plan stays on track, even with my splurge. And on my splurge days, once I’m not enjoying anything a 100%, I leave it alone. Not worth my calories, and certainly not worth yours. 
What are you doing to ensure you stay on track with your nutrition plan even when out this weekend? Share your tips with me! 

Till next time,

anu

No comments:

Post a Comment