19 March 2015

Ways to Manage Calories on a Nigerian Diet (Portion # 2)



Hello all! This is the 2nd part of my first post on how to manage calories on a Nigerian diet – you can click here to access the post. I received a lot of feedback on this post, especially from disgruntled readers who said the portions were too little. I have since repented and increased the portions in this meal. I do however want to note that more food doesn’t necessarily keep you full for a long time. However, healthy, fibrous foods with complex carbohydrates and proteins with healthy fats will definitely keep you full for a really long time. Surprisingly and fortunately for we healthy eating family, these foods usually carry less calories than empty carbohydrates that mount up on our plates.

I had this meal for my lunch on Sunday and it was really filling. I didn’t need to finish the entire meal though – I saved 2 pieces of plantain (half a medium sized plantain) and one piece of grilled Titus fish for my lunch the following day. (The-measuringcup nugget: when your food is so delicious but you don’t want to consume all the calories in one sitting, pack and prepare it for another meal. That way, you have delayed your gratificiation while simultaneously meal-prepping a heathy meal for another time). This was such an awesome idea because I was absolutely stuffed without the extra plantains and fish.



I want to leave you with some pointers on Wholesome eating:

1.    On Wholesome Eating: Wholesome eating is when you focus on complex carbohydrates, proteins, fibre, and leafy vegetables. These foods are usually more filling than simple carbohydrates, popularly known as ‘empty carbohydrates’.

2.     On our Model Meal: This meal in the photo is a wholesome meal. It consists of all your food groups, but does so without compromising on healthy calories and flavor. Beans, a legume, is replete with protein, complex carbohydrates, fibre, amino acids, magnesium and other vitamins. It’s also very filling and can be made in various ways. It also doesn’t need a lot of oil to be flavourful; it can be seasoned well with fish to enhance its flavor and minimal oil for emulsification. The “efo” or “vegetable” can also be enjoyed with almost no oil, onions and peppers to enhance flavor. Do ensure to throw some crayfish in there to boost the flavor of the leaves. The plantains were grilled. I grilled one whole medium sized plantain but ended up only having half of it. Plantain is loaded with fibre and potassium. And Titus fish, or ‘frozen fish’ as we commonly call it in Nigeria, is happy to provide you with protein and healthy fats. I recommend more meals like this so that you’re full for a long time, without compromising on satisfaction and flavor.

3.     On Fighting Empty Meals: When you’re served a meal, have a glance and think to yourself: will this meal keep me full for at least 4 hours? If it won’t, then there’s no point enjoying it as a full meal. It’s better to cut it in half and supplement it with a filling fruit or a salad. Or drink a glass of water before the meal. I make it a point never to suffer calories that won’t benefit me, especially when the meal is your mundane, heaped carbohydrate with very little vegetables and protein.



Calories in Model Meal

Plantains (grilled): 130 calories
Vegetable: Free
Beans (1 ramekin of stewed beans): 173 calories
Titus Fish: 154
Sauce (there was some oil in it): 50 calories
Total Calories: 507.

Calories in Model Meal (Less 2 Plantains if you’re being skinny on carbs)

Plantains (grilled): 65 calories
Vegetable: Free
Beans (1 ramekin of stewed beans): 173 calories
Titus Fish: 154
Sauce (there was some oil in it): 50 calories
Total Calories: 442

till next time,
anu.

3 comments:

  1. Nice one. At least I don't have to go on a liquid diet. Great tips. I just met you at Omo's wedding. A pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one. At least I don't have to go on a liquid diet. Great tips. I just met you at Omo's wedding. A pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe. I hope it's good for diabetic patient?

    ReplyDelete