13 March 2014

The Fruit Fad


  
As usual, I found myself at Kuluwaz’s dining table. In case you didn’t know, she’s the chicken wings Celebrity LOL. Anyway, we settled down to have two prima facie healthy meals: a salad and freshly made fruit juice. Anyway, I gave the juice a “look” and she said “it’s all fresh fruit oh, don’t start with your calorie talk”. LOL. I realllly want to discuss the “salad fad” but I’ll save that for another time.

There are foods, which seem perfectly healthy at the beginning until you start enjoying them a little too much. At that point, do your homework on it. Such is the case of fresh fruit, fruit juice, and smoothies.  Fruit is comprised of sugar (fructose), vitamins, water, and all sorts of good stuff. And no matter how you spin it, you need to watch sugar intake for a healthier lifestyle.
This was my breakfast smoothie after a run this morning. I blended these and got an amazing energy boost. For those who don't fancy green tea, this is a great way to have it without tasting it!

Here’s how to maximize your fruit intake without overdosing on fructose:

·                    Count how much fruit you’re having but don’t be too religious about it:
  •   On my WeightWatchers journey, fruit was “free”. Essentially, we were permitted to have unlimited fruit. However, my Leader always said “you didn’t start out with a fruit problem, so don’t end up with one”. She advised to limit our fruit intake to 6 pieces a day. I advise measuring intake of high-sugar fruit such as pineapple, grapes, mangoes and bananas.

·                        Fruit Juices
  •          When you have an entire jug of fruit juice, your body doesn’t know the difference between what you’ve just had and a chocolate bar! I know it sounds crazy, but it’s true. It’s just so much sugar that you don’t need. Also, you’ve eliminated the fibre, which your body desperately needs to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I advise that you get used to eating fruit whole, and make fruit juices an occasional treat!


·                      On Smoothies
  •      Because smoothies contain the pulp and skin of fruit, it’s a wiser option than fruit juices. However, It’s super easy to blend 600 calories into a smoothie! I advise using your measuring cup to ensure you don’t have more than a half cup of each fruit, depending on how many fruits you’re using. You can bulk up your smoothie with natural sugar free yoghurt or even dry oatmeal. This will help you feel fuller for longer. You can also add green tea to your smoothie – the benefits of green tea are endless!


·                  Bananas, bananas, bananas!
  •     You don’t need to run away from bananas, but I advise that you don’t do more than two bananas a day (if you’re on a weight loss journey), and perhaps for good measure, consume in the morning.  My issue with bananas is that they don’t have a lot of fibre and that’s why I always suggest that you add them to your oatmeal in the morning. This way, you eliminate having to use any processed sugar (including honey). Bananas also contain a lot of potassium which helps your organs work properly. A medium sized banana contains about 110 calories (a 25 minute walk, approx).

   Lastly, Up the Amp on Veg!
  •     Veggies are brilliant because they are almost calorie-free, and they contain amazing boosts of iron, vitamins, water and countless other benefits. Get accustomed to snacking on carrots, adding spinach to your smoothies, and picking up a carrot or even a tomato (though this is a fruit) when you’re craving an afternoon snack!

All in all, fruit is an essential food to healthy living. However, too much of it can be an impediment to weight loss.

I’d love to know the ways and portions you consume your fruit! Leave a message in the comment section ;)

Till next time,

anu.

12 comments:

  1. So true Anu. Was talking about this with a friend earlier. Good job, excited abt the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Anu, a lot of people are ill-informed about fruit juice .To be honest having a full carton of orange or pineapple juice is as bad as having a can of fizzy pop like coke or Fanta. Eating whole fruits and veg is a much better approach to weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true Anu, which is why I never caught on to fruit juicing. It's just straight up sugar. I'd rather instead blend it in a smoothie so I can get the fibers as well. But of course with a lot more veggies than fruit. My problem is honey, oh honey, how can I ever live without thee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm Efe perhaps we need to discuss "Honey" on this blog. A lot of Nigerians are obsessed with honey. They feel that they are justified because it's "natural". Lol. But you can definitely live without honey if you start reducing the amount you have by one spoon at a time. You'll find that after about 1 month, you won't need honey at all, or you'd have conditioned your taste buds to having just a teaspoon per cup. xx

      Delete
  4. wow Anu...this is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes so much sense! I love fresh juice but definitely prefer smoothies because you can just blend away! Yay thanks Anu! Can't wait to read more from you... X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. This juicing far has thoroughly misled people. Just because it's fruit doesn't mean it should be consumed without discretion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh. Hating on my fruit juice will reduce your height. Seriously though, you need to talk to Mr G about his fruit intake. Definitely agree with what you have stated. Im doing less of the juice and more of d fruit n veggie smoothies. I shall get there. Someday soon. So proud of you love :*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had the same fruit arguement with a colleague the other day,she is trying to lose weight yet she eats Pineapple like its going out of style,she says its fruit therefore natural.Am confused about the honey though,is it bad also?Pls Anu,can you do something about Honey soon,need to know if to jump up in happiness or cry

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sis is on a diet plan, more fruits/veggies, less oil and the rest. I've found out I take a lot of smoothies....i thought it was healthy, and would take a large glass of it, until ii read this!!! Hmmmmmmm thanks Anu. Taichi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahaha I LOVE how you measure calories in Exercise time!

    LOLL For me that is the greatest deterrent of ALL time!

    Why eat ONE pack of Indomie of 370kCals that will take me 1hour to walk off at Brisk pace? And one won't even belle full me sef. So I'd rather half a bag of loose leaf salad 24kCals, healthy and I'd be full for like 4 hours.

    Wisdom is profitable to direct abeg. Lol

    ReplyDelete